Dear Marvista Families,
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! I am thrilled to be serving as Principal again this year and look forward to seeing you all in the coming days. Our teachers are working hard to set up classrooms and to design engaging learning experiences for your children. We are all so excited to have everyone back on campus, and to celebrate the return of many of our school traditions.
As we begin to prepare for our first day, I want to begin by sharing that student safety will be at the forefront of every decision we make. We will work tirelessly to help everyone feel comfortable and safe, while complying with guidance from our district leaders, including our security department, and the health department. In the coming days we will be sharing our revised school safety plan. This safety plan will outline social distancing, quarantining, reporting, and masking requirements. For now, I thought it would be helpful to provide a quick snapshot:
- All exterior doors are locked at Marvista. To access our building during school hours, you will need to walk up to the west facing main office doors and call our office number at 206-631-4200. Be prepared to identify yourself and your reason for coming into our school. Our amazing office staff will then meet you at the door to let you in.
- If your child is experiencing ANY COVID symptoms, we require that you keep them home and call our office for consultation on when they can safely return to school. COVID symptoms include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Masks are optional for students and staff on our campus.
- If you choose to have your child wear a mask, please prepare your child for wearing the mask for the duration of the class time. Our staff will not monitor the wearing of the masks. It is also helpful if you pack a second mask, just in case.
- There is no longer a requirement for social distancing.
- Students will be asked to wash hands and hand sanitize frequently, including each time they enter the classroom, the cafeteria, and use shared materials.
Final student class placements will be on available on Tuesday, August 30. You can access this information in the district Parent VUE application or by coming by our school to look at the printed lists on the west windows of our main entrance. Classroom placement is an intentional process that involves identifying individual student strengths and needs to create a balanced group.
Teacher Meet and Greet
We are excited to announce the return of our traditional Teacher Meet and Greet! This drop-in event in on Wednesday, August 31 from 4:00-5:00 p.m. Families are welcome to come by our school during this time to say a quick hello to their new teacher, drop off school supplies, and see your student’s learning space. Families will also receive key information such as car pick up signs and maps for student arrival and dismissal. We ask that if you choose to visit with other families that you do this outside on our blacktop area.
Student arrival time is 8:55 a.m. At this time our cafeteria will open for breakfast, our buses will arrive on campus and our car drop off lane will open. There is no student supervision until 8:55 a.m. each day.
- When our students arrive on campus, they will enter our blacktop area and line up in their designated class lines. Our teachers will greet students in their class lines at 9:10 a.m. and school will officially start at 9:15 a.m.
- Families will not enter the black top area and will need to say goodbyes at the gates.
- If you use the drop off lane, prepare your child to independently exit from the passenger side of the car, pull forward to the drop off zone between the crosswalks. A staff member will greet your child.
- If you are running late or have an appointment, please prepare to park and walk your child into our office.
Student dismissal time is 3:45 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 2:15 p.m. on Fridays, with the exception of our first Friday, September 2 which will have a 3:45 p.m. dismissal time.
- Students will be escorted by classroom teachers to our bus pick up zone or the parent pick up zone.
- If you plan to use the parent car pick up line, students will be loaded by our staff in the loading zone. Families will receive name cards at the Teacher Meet and Greet. Place the card on the dashboard passenger side of your car. Pull forward to the loading zone, wait in your car, and our staff will bring your student to your car. For student and staff safety, all students will be loaded on the passenger side only.
- If you plan to park and walk on to campus to meet your child, the walking pick up zone is at the flagpole. We ask that you commit to using our designated cross walks when walking to and from this area. Please do not walk in between cars in the pick up lane, as this is a serious safety concern.
- If you need to pick up your child before the end of the school day, we ask that you do this before 3:15 p.m.
Family Connection Meetings
We are excited to announce the return of our Family Connection Meetings. This is a dedicated time for each of our teachers to connect with individual families. This will be a time for you to share about your child as well as for our teachers to share information and ask questions. Your child’s teacher will reach out to you to schedule the family connection meeting.
Thank you for all that you have done and for all that you continue to do to support our students and our school community. If you have any questions, you are always welcome to call our main office at 206-631-4200. Our amazing team will work to connect you with the appropriate support staff.