Dear Marvista Families,
As you may know, there was a school shooting at Ingraham High School in Seattle on Tuesday. We recognize that this may bring up safety concerns for you, your student, and our entire school community.
I want to assure you that safety at our school is a top priority. Some of our proactive safety measures are:
- All volunteers are signed in and identified by wearing a visitor badge when they are in our building.
- All staff members are identified by wearing a HPS badge.
- All classroom doors are closed and locked and require an electronic key card to enter.
- All exterior doors are closed and locked. Students entering the building from recess to use the restroom use an electronic key card pass.
- We partner with our district security department to assess safety threats and to design plans for drills.
- Our school safety team meets regularly to evaluate protocols.
Our district Safety & Security staff are prepared to respond immediately to an emergency on our campus. They have strong relationships with our local law enforcement agencies and work closely with them to prevent and respond to incidents. The Normandy Park Police Department is also incredibly supportive of our school, stopping by regularly to answer questions and to provide an overall presence.
We have a school emergency plan that tells us what to do in a variety of situations. If you have questions about our emergency procedures, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-631-4200.
If your child expresses fear or anxiety about their safety, here are some resources for talking with them.
- 15 Tips for Talking with Children About School Violence
- Talking to Children about Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
If your child needs extra support in the wake of this incident, please reach out to me and we will connect them with our counselor. And, as always, please contact me if you have questions or concerns.
At Marvista, our entire team is dedicated to student safety. Thank you for working with us as we continue to do whatever it takes inside and outside of the classroom. Thank you for all that you have done and for all that you continue to do to support Marvista Elementary. If you have any questions, you are always welcome to call our main office at 206-631-4200. Our team will work to connect you with the appropriate support staff.