Absent Tardy Procedures
Parents are asked to notify the school in advance or prior to 9:00 a.m. if their child will be tardy or absent that day. Please call 206-631-4200 to report the absence. You may also call and leave a message after hours to report an absence prior to the start of school. Please send a handwritten note when the child returns to school indicating the reason for the absence or tardy. If a student is absent and the school has not been notified, a phone call to the parent is placed by parent volunteers. Admittance slips will be written for tardy students beginning at 9:11 a.m. per the school wall clocks.
Absences (excused) per state law
The only absences that can be considered excused are:
- Participation in a district or school approved activity or instructional program;
- Illness, health condition or medical appointment for the student
- Family emergency including, but not limited to, a death or illness in the family;
- Religious or cultural purpose including observance of religious or cultural holiday or participation in religious or cultural instruction;
- Absence directly related to the student’s homeless status;
- Absences related to deployment activities of a parent/guardian who is an active duty member consistent with RCW 28A.705.010;
The Washington attendance law, the BECCA bill, requires students by law to be in school. This law can apply to elementary school aged students when they are excessively absent even if they are excused. Washington State law requires that all children from age 8 to 17 attend school. This law also applies to children ages 6 and 7 if the parent enrolls the child in public school. Regular attendance is a major factor in determining a child’s success in school and helping them to perform well academically. Although missed assignments can be made up, nothing can replace valuable in-class instruction.