Drop-off & Pick-up Directions
During arrival and dismissal times, students should only be dropped off and picked-up between the crosswalks in the main parking lot (see map below). While it is tempting to pick up and drop off students as soon as you reach the curb in the parking lot, for student safety and to ensure smooth, efficient operations in the parking lot, please refrain from doing that. You are urged to only drop students off between the crosswalks (see map below). Please note that some adjustments to any or all of these procedures may be made if necessary for student safety.
Other Parking Lot Expectations
- Drivers will be asked to pull forward between the crosswalks 4 cars at a time. Drivers will also be signaled to exit the crosswalk area 4 cars at a time. Please watch for the staff to signal you to pull forward. Follow all signs and directions from supervision staff as adjustments will be made if necessary for safety.
- Students are to remain on the playground behind the fence until their ride arrives between the crosswalks.
- Drivers must remain in their cars unless parked in a designated parking space.
- If your student is not waiting when you arrive, please park in a designated parking spot or circulate through the pick up line again.
- Do not park anywhere along the curb in the parking lot.
- Avoid parking behind other cars parked in a designated parking area; but, if required, remain with your car so that you can move it when necessary.
- Back up cautiously; there are many kids coming and going.
- Follow all state laws while driving near the school including refraining from texting or talking on the phone.
If Marvista Elementary is your neighborhood school and you live one mile or more from school, you are encouraged to use bus transportation. This will cut down on the number of cars in the parking lot. If your child is new to the school and you plan to have him/her ride the bus, please let the office know so they can contact Transportation in advance so they can make sure that there is space available on the bus.
Adult crosswalk supervisors will be available in the morning and afternoon on 4th avenue during a limited window of time. Supervision will be provided 15 minutes before and after school each day.
Students in grades 4 and 5 may ride bikes, roller bladders, skateboards and non-motor scooters to school. According to Highline District policy, a protective helmet must be worn when riding a bike, skateboard, scooter or roller blades to school. District policy also prohibits riding bicycles to and from school by children in grades K-3, even when accompanied by an adult (policy #3424).
During the hours of 8:30-4:00 all bicycles must be walked on school grounds. Skateboards, roller blades and scooters must be carried while on school property. Failure to follow these rules will result in loss of privileges. Bikes should be locked at the bicycle rack near the main entrance.
Before School Supervision
Students at Marvista lineup for classes outside of the building. Supervision of students does not begin unit 9:00 AM, with the exception of the students eating breakfast in our cafeteria. Guardians should see that students do not arrive on school grounds before 9:00 AM (unless arriving for 8:45 breakfast service). The first bell rings at 9:10 AM and teachers let students in at that time. The playground is off limits before school.
After School Dismissal
After school, students will be led to the following areas:
Bus Riders: students will go directly to their bus through the play shed, adjacent to the gym.
Walkers: will be dismissed out of main exit areas with the exception of Kindergarteners. They will be with their teacher by the flag pole waiting for a parent or guardian to pick them up in person with from teacher.
Car Riders: will be walked to the pick-up area in the playground, near the crosswalks in the main lot (see map above).
Please wait for your child in the designated areas only: parking lot or outside of the building by the flagpole.