17-18 Performance Report
- School Information
- Highlights for 2017-18
- Plans for 2018-19
- Invitation to Participate
- How District Funds are Invested
This year we....
- read Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain and implemented many of the strategies and content in instruction this year.
- engaged in PD on Anti-Racist practices
- continued implementation of RULER and began implementation of the Feeling Words Curriculum.
- began implementation of Restorative and Trauma Informed Practices in the Classrooms with volunteer staff.
- continued to provide PD for staff with an emphasis on paraeducators related to racism, privilege, and bias.
- developed a shared understanding of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in English Language Arts (ELA)
- we began development of Standards Based Units through an SBI Unit Refresh Process including adding CRP and ELL strategies to each unit
- began professional learning & instruction in close reading of complex text using shared reading lessons
- provided optional PD on Formative Assessment, Learning Targets and Success Criteria (process, tools, rationale)
- provided team time to create common formative assessments as part of unit planning/refresh process
- introduced a data team protocol in 3rd grade which was used to discuss formative assessments and plan for interventions
Next year we will:
- begin teaching students about racism, privilege, and bias in developmental ways connected to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
- begin engagement of a parent focus group to help inform changes to school events, procedures and opportunities.
- continue PD related to anti-racist practice and equity with an emphasis on new staff.
- implement the RULER Approach and Feeling Words Curriculum with an emphasis on strategies to foster kindness and empathy.
- continue implementation of Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain Strategies within the PBIS/RULER processes in our classrooms.
- provide PD to staff on Restorative Justice and Trauma Informed Practices for behavior support and instruction for teachers.
- support language develop by beginning implementation of the Marzano approach to teaching Tier 2 academic vocabulary. The Math Habits of Mind vocabulary will be the focus in year one.
- begin implementation of schoolwide Academic Discourse practice
- continue to develop a shared understanding of the CCSS standards in Math and will engage in PD related to best practice math pedagogy.
- continue to deepen our understanding of the English Language Arts (ELA) CCSS and Standards Based Instruction in ELA including continued implementation of close reading of complex text using shared reading lessons and beginning implementation of of close reading of complex text using the Close Reading Lessons
- begin PD in Science by learning together about the NGSS Standards.
- learn about Formative Assessment, Learning Targets and Success Criteria in math.
- begin learning the new district assessment system
- begin data cycles in grade level team meetings.
At Highline Public Schools, one of our four pillars in the district's strategic plan is parent and family engagement. In order to reach our strategic plan goals we will form partnerships with parents and families. Families and community members are encouraged to participate in school activities and in educating students in school, at home and in the community.